Thursday, March 03, 2011

On themes...

When I need to construct a series of pictures for a theme I assemble them together in a workspace on my PC. First I review what I have in my photo inventory to see what is a good match for the theme at hand. Then I try to visualize images that will fit the theme. A concept begins to form. Ambiguous as usual. But understood by myself to assume enough form to allow me to render it in pictures. Then the process of creating the new art begins. It is exhilarating from beginning to end. To see a new idea constructed into a digital, then physical reality.

When the work is done I step back and look at the portfolio I have created for the project. I look and look. I stare and think. Does it run together well enough? Is there a cohesiveness in the images that satisfy the concept I hold in my mind? Is enough of the story hinted at? Did I leave enough to the imagination? I don’t want to ever be too literal. We face enough of that in life. Art of course, should always be open to personal interpretation. Anything other is, illustration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home