Wednesday, September 21, 2005

If I Should Die This Very Moment...

As I was driving home today I saw a minivan on fire. It appeared to be one of those early 90's models. The one made by GM or Chrysler that compared the cutting edge design of the cockpit to the front end of the space shuttle. Do you remember the commercial? Anyway, the entire vehicle was ablaze. Black smoke was billowing into the sky. The police had just arrived but had not been able to even exit their cars yet. As I approached the burning hulk I realized that I had left my camera in my laptop briefcase from the vacation which I had just returned from the night before. I drew closer to the pile of flame which was parked in the breakdown lane to my left. I passed it with only one lane top separate my car from it. Then I felt the intense heat emanating from it. It was then that I thought here is my moment of vulnerability. What if there gas tank were to give at this very moment and explode? What if I hadn't forgotten my camera and it the vehicle ignited at the moment I took a picture? This would be the document of my last visual input. A minivan whose front end design was sold to the public as having drawn its inspiration from the space shuttle. And then the fucking irony of it hit me like a diamond bullet between the eyes. Space shuttle...burning.

I wish I had remembered my camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home